30 January 2012

Sugar Hill ('74)!

Valentine: You know it's strange, after you and I split, it took a long time to get over the fact that you took up with Langston.
Diana: Yeah, but you got over it all right.
Valentine: In any case, I never thought I'd be questioning you about his death.
Diana: Murder. First time I met him was right here. He came up to me and he asked my name. It's Diana Hill I said. He said, well from now on you're gonna be called Sugar, Miss Sugar, 'cause you look as sweet as sugar tastes.


Sugar Hill is a blacksploitation Voodoo black magic crime action film from the mid-70s.


Diana 'Sugar' Hill (above) wants to sell her soul to the greatest of Voodoo gods, Baron Samedi (first photo), to avenge her boyfriend, Langston, who was murdered by a honky crime syndicate that wants control of his night club.


Baron: Tell me, why do you want my power?
Sugar: There are some men I want punished.
Baron: Punished?
Sugar: DEAD.

The screenplay was by prolific playwright Tim Kelly, who wrote over three hundred plays before he died at 61. It is the sole directorial credit for Paul Maslansky, producer of over thirty films, including the Police Academy films, Cop and a Half, Raw Meat, Circle of Iron, and Damnation Alley. Star Marki Bey had a short career that began with a role in Hal Ashby's first film The Landlord.


O'Brien: You're not going to do anything crazy, are you?
Sugar: You mean like I did to Tank?
O'Brien: Tha-that was you? I don't believe it.


Sugar: You're about to become a believer.

Slave shackles are used as Jujus (Voodoo charms) to resurrect a zombie murder gang of living dead slaves brought from Guinea to America in the 1840s. Sugar, Baron Samedi, and the living dead slave gang kill off the members of the honky crime syndicate one at a time.

There's a bar fight between Sugar and a blonde lady that begins with a bunch of slaps.


I have described the essential elements of the movie Sugar Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment